Friday, August 15, 2008

Ode to Old School

So I'm sitting here in the livingroom as my son is watching Yo Gabba Gabba, one of THE worst shows ever invented. I'm sorry but its just plain annoying. I just dont even know which part is the worst. If its the guy in the spandex and the big fluffy hat, sometimes hot pink, orange or yellow. Or if its the Big rapper dude with the lisp that teaches kids the "beat of the day" or the "famous people" who have the guts to come on the show and teach their "fun dance" that they like to do. No, I know, its the puppets. Even though they teach good messages, they really need to learn how to do it less....retarded. But Jared loves it none the less so I suck it up as he is dancing to the songs and saying "yeah man" and "good job". He likes to encourage others, isnt he sweet? At least he knows better when 4 square comes on and promptly turns off the TV. 

But watching these shows makes me wonder what happened to the good old school cartoons like Raccoons or the Flinstones with their fake laugh track or Bugs Bunny and the constant violence. Those were simpler times. When George Jetson told Jane that she couldn't learn to drive cuz she was a woman and women are bad drivers and she just needs to let him, the man, do the driving. Can you imagine if that was  a cartoon today?? I dont think it would go over very well. But now kids shows are all about learning, which isnt a bad thing, but whatever happened to good ol' fashioned having fun watching Tweety shoot Sylvester the cat with a shot gun and watch him all burnt and black fall and smash into the concrete??? Or watching the anvil fall and hit the cat as he tries to climb up the wall. Instead now we have the Yo Gabba Gabba puppets singing and dancing around reminding us, "don't bite your friends". It is really good though that they are teaching kids good messages and I would never think about discouraging it. I guess I just miss a part of my childhood and the memories of the fun we used to have watching those old cartoons, mind-numbing, pointless, violent cartoons. I guess today they have tried to not mush the brains of our children, instead they are trying to help in their development right??? So as I close this blog and send a tribute to all those old school cartoons, I just want to remind you all "don't do anything dangerous" and to "be nice to others" Until next time.

6 comments:

The Blandon's said...

I agree 100%! Where did all the good cartoons go? Remember when we would watch Hercules every morning before school? Those were the good ol' days! Ha Ha good times!

JWalburger said...

I so agree! Liek the Smurfs, Thundercats, Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo, Flintstones, and all the other good ones. Sometimes, you can get them on the Boomerang Channel on Satelite. Sam and I watch that cartoon channel when out at the farm.

Janas Bananas said...

Don't be scared, you will be all right....I Agree, its a good thing u have satalite!

Stephanie said...

Well every once in a while I see Fraggle Rock on the satellite and will tape it just so I can listen to the theme song!

Ben Virginia Walker said...

I totally agree. Mikayla loves yo Gabba gabba and it drives me crazy. I try and get her to watch the Retro channel with the good ole' cartoons and she doesn't like them. Hang in there.

Brenda said...

We have Boomerang but Jordan doesn't like it much. The only "old school" cartoon that he likes is Tom and Jerry. And don't ever say those shows weren't educational -- I bet most kids today wouldn't even know what an anvil is.