Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Beginning of the End?????




Yesterday James and I went up to Calgary for Lorelle's appointment.
It was just a follow up from when it filled with blood.
James and I have been talking a lot about when we should start surgery for her.
We decided that we should get it started and underway this year. Since her cheek hasn't gotten any better or changed in the last 2 years, it probably isn't going to ever and our only options at this point is surgery or nothing.
So yesterday we talked with the doctor and signed all the papers and consent forms and they will call us in a few weeks with a date. It can be as early as the end of April/beginning of May which is way faster than I thought. We thought it would be the fall (since they don't really do surgeries in the summer).
So this is exciting and also scary. The surgery is 4-6 hours depending on how many cysts are in there and they want to be as thorough as possible. We have to remain in the hospital for 3-4 days and recovery is at least 2 weeks and it's 2 weeks of constant attention and basically holding her on our lap as she won't be allowed to move much. Her face is expected to swell beyond the size it was when she was born and look actually worse before it will remotely look better. She will have a scar a long her chin bone underneath that will be a little noticeable but when it comes down to it, would you rather have a scar or a big cheek??
So that is what is happening. I'll let you know when her date is when we hear.
As you all know, since one of my previous blogs, that this process hasn't been the easiest for me. I've had a lot of hard moments since she was born and have been dreading the day she would have surgery but today while listening to conference, I can't remember who it was (and it was just this morning) but he talked about a little 13 year old girl who was having a tumor removed from her spine and when she woke up she told her dad about all the people she saw and that all the children in the ICU had angels with them. After I heard that, I know that Lorelle will have an angel with her when it was her time to have surgery.
I'm grateful for the gospel and the knowledge that we are not alone.
No matter how hard it will be, and I know it will be, neither of us will be alone and that is really comforting. It's amazing that at every Conference, no matter what, you will always hear something you need too.

8 comments:

The Blandon's said...

That is such a cute picture of Lorelle! Good luck, she'll be in our prayers.
There are creams that work really well on scars. If she is older and wants less of a scar then there are options. I like the scar on my face though - she may like hers too...
Conference is always so great!

Wendy Earl said...

Good luck Henlines! My heart is going out to you! I know its not the same, but I feel like I know what you're going through in a way! Were praying for you and soon it will be all over and done. Good luck and if you need anything while you're in calgary! Let us know!

Stephanie said...

my mom and i both think she is looking great!
good luck from the wissler.. we will keep her in our prayers too <3

Crystal HW said...

Cute shot!
Definitely keep us up no date details.
You are so right about conference! It is a big reason I am actually setting the alarm for the morning so I do not miss a minute of it...since I am the only one home.

Alison said...

Hey little D - my daughter was in the NICU for nearly a month when she was first born. When she was about 2 1/2, I was lifting her up, showing her pictures I had in frames on a shelf and she pointed to my Grampa and said "I know him". He'd been gone for 12 years. I remembered that when that speaker mentioned that story too. Love and prayers to you guys, let us know when you're here and if there's ANYTHING we can do, we're family after all :)

The Lawlor's said...

Well said (regarding hearing things we need from conference) and I pray everything goes well.

Francis Family said...

Good luck with everything! I'm thinking about ya. :)

Neener said...

Oh Dina,
I understand. I loved that talk. Maybe her cousin Tanner will be there holding her hand.
Love ya.